Blade servers are often more expensive than rack servers, but you get higher performance and more slots for devices on a blade server. In this article, find out which type of server is a better fit for your needs.
What is the difference between a Rack Server and a Blade Server?
When it comes to servers, there are two main types: rack servers and blade servers. So, what’s the difference between the two?
Rack servers are designed to be installed in a server rack. A server rack is a framework that holds multiple electronic devices, such as servers, in a convenient and organized way. Rack servers are typically 1U (1.75 inches) or 2U (3.5 inches) in size and can be mounted horizontally or vertically in a rack.
Blade servers, on the other hand, are designed to be installed in a blade server chassis. A blade server chassis is a special type of enclosure that can hold multiple blade servers. Blade servers are much smaller than rack servers and are typically only half an inch thick.
There are several key differences between rack servers and blade servers:
- Size – Rack servers are typically 1U or 2U in size, while blade servers are only half an inch thick.
- Installation – Rack servers must be installed in a server rack, while blade servers must be installed in a blade server chassis.
- Maintenance – Blade server chassis has built-in features that make them easier to maintain than server racks. For example, most blade server chassis has hot-swappable power supplies and fans that make it easy to replace failed components without taking the entire system offline.
- Scalability – Blade servers offer greater scalability than rack servers since they can be easily added or removed from a blade server chassis. This makes it easy to quickly expand or contract your server capacity as needed.
- Cost – Blade servers are generally more expensive than rack servers since they require a special blade server chassis.
Which one is better for you?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of which type of server is better for you. The best server for you depends on a number of factors, including the nature and size of your business, your budget, and your specific needs.
If you’re not sure which type of server is right for you, our experts can help. We’ll ask about your business and evaluate your needs to find the best solution for you. Contact us today to get started.
A rack server is a great option for those who need a lot of storage space and who want the flexibility to choose their own components. Blade servers, on the other hand, are perfect for those who need a high-powered server that can handle heavy workloads. So, which one is better for you? It really depends on your specific needs. If you’re not sure which type of server is right for you, our team of experts would be happy to help you figure it out. Contact us today to get started.